The School Day
The school is organised into four separate year groups, which are categorised as follows:
Year 3: 7 – 8 years old
Year 4: 8 – 9 years old
Year 5: 9 – 10 years old
Year 6: 10 – 11 years old
This continues the grouping system first started in the infants. We review the classes at the end of year 4 where children choose at least one or two friends to stay with to form their new year 5 class.
Children will often be supported by teaching assistants, who work with groups or individuals. All our teachers work in teams and support each other and this may involve them teaching each other’s class to share their expertise. This is all done to improve the quality of learning.
Children receive a minimum of 23.5 hours teaching per week. The school day is 5.5 hours, excluding lunchtime.
Our school day is as follows:
- 8.45am – school gates open: pupils walk straight into their classrooms
- 8.50am – pupils in class ready to learn
- 9.15am – assembly (on specific days)
- 9.00am – 9.30am – handwriting/early morning work (non assembly days)
- 9.40am – 10.45am – maths
- 10.45am – 11am – break time
- 11.00am – 12noon – literacy (all year groups)
- 12 noon to 12.30pm – guided reading
- 12.30pm to 1.30pm – whole school lunch break
- Afternoon sessions – creative curriculum which includes Art and DT, Science, PSHE, PE, History, Geography, Music, Spanish and ICT
- 3.15pm – school ends for all children.
PPA – This is where teachers plan their lessons for the next week.
Art, PE and Music are taught on a rotation basis ensuring that all children benefit from specialist teachers.
There is a breakfast club available each morning from 7:30am for any child needing to be looked after, for which there is a small charge.
Children may have school dinners, packed lunch or go home for dinner (as long as the school is informed). Dinners must be paid for weekly and no daily payments can be accepted. Parents may pay for a half term or full term if they wish and all payments should be made using our secure website called ParentPay. Parents/carers will all be given individual ID and Passwords to access this facility.
End of the Day
Children are released at 3.20pm. Parents/carers of children in Y3/Y4 can collect their children from the junior school playground. Y5 and Y6 children are dismissed from King’s Ground. We do ask that child/ren are collected promptly after school so that the after school clubs can begin. Y5 and Y6 children are permitted to walk home alone with written consent from the parents/carers.
To find out the latest term dates: